Work in progress
Beetle Battle is a game mode where two to four players can play this game mode (and the only one to allow more than two players to be able to play normally). The goal is to get all six ladybugs and drive to the exit.
Manual description Edit
Beetle Battle is no-holds-barred racing mayhem held in a variety of unique game arenas. You and up to three friends can go head-to-head as you make a mad dash to gather hidden objects and race to the arena exit.
- The first driver to collect all six ladybugs and find the exit is the winner!
Although there are technically 256 ladybugs, the player normally can't set the value higher than 31 in the game:
|The Tenth Ladybug|
The three last ladybugs (Black, Gray, White) do not appear during gameplay, but are present in the game and can be forced to appear using the Debug Menu (they are not present on the HUD). Beyond the White Ladybug is just boxes and other stuff.
There is also a ladybug that seems to be located before the red ladybug. The red ladybug is always the first one, but whenever the value is set to 00, and a player collects the red ladybug, a differently-colored ladybug will appear before the red one.
This image shows the mini-map color of 27 ladybugs.
The six ladybugs are shown on the left side of the player's screen, and if one is collected, a sound plays and the transparent ladybug will change to a normal one. In the case of a technical ladybug (and the three last normal ones that are normally noncollectable), visually, nothing happens, but the ladybug collect sound plays anyway to tell the player that it counts. This even includes the white-greenish ladybug that comes before the red one.
There are a total of eight power-ups. The power-ups themselves are hidden inside boxes (which must be destroyed in order to get the power-up)
Mine Box ボム
|When dropped, these crates damage anyone who hits them.|
Mystery Box ミステリー
|Activate this mystery item and watch what happens to your opponents!|
Rocket Box ミサイル
|These projectiles lock onto the nearest opponent and cause nasty damage.|
Stealer Box スティール
|Aim these projectiles correctly, and you´ll hit another player and steal one of his or her ladybugs.|
Health Box リペア
|This box increases your health if you´ve taken damage.|
Poison Box ポイズソ
|This box drains your health when you drive into it.|
Invincibility Box シールド
|Activating this item makes you invincible for a little while, so opponents beware!|
|Smash into a Nitro box and you´ll get plastered to the back of your seat by a jolt of speed.|
There are a total of nine arenas:
Work in progress
While not intended to be arenas, these tracks can be battled on using GameShark codes.
|Row 1||Row 2||Row 3||Row 4|
Stunt O Rama
Only MULT 10 is an arena, but cannot be unlocked and is not included at all in the accessible arenas. Also, it freezes the game unless the radar is disabled using one of the game's cheats.
A mini-map is displayed on the screen to tell the player's current position and also where the ladybug can be found.
These tracks are known to have a mini-map for Beetle Battle, but use game textures instead where the mini-map should be. MULT 10 uses a fence-like texture despite it according to the name an arena.
Technical information Edit
If you are "offended" by the following information, please skip it:
The exit texture is actually an object model (hex: 105).
Along with the 4 unused ladybugs, more unused objects have been found:
- Health Box with a different color tone (hex: 10A). 10B is its destroyed version.
- Beetle Battle, like the rest of the game, has gone through some changes:
- The game mode was known as Bug Hunt at one point.
- Most power-ups showed a number next to the icon.
- The arenas also went through changes:
- The mini-map was just the Airport one, unfinished.
- Airport, Parkade, Stadium, Castle, Volcano and Dunes were mostly unchanged.
- Ice Flows was meant to have no ladybugs at all, making it difficult to finish it.
- Rooftops had some additional details and a different sky.
- Woods had a secret area that was accessible by driving into breakable windows. A box was placed here. The final arena's walls are just tree walls, and fences prevent the player from being able to interact with the tree walls. No remnants remains of the area.
Names in other languages Edit
|French||Beetle Bang||Beetle Bang|
|Australian version||HSV Battle|